Biology | AS
The Associate of Science Biology Transfer Major is designed for students wishing to pursue various tracks within the field of Biology, including pre-medicine, Neuroscience, and Wildlife/Conservation Biology. Students upon graduation with an AS Degree in Biology from WITCC will be able to:
- Explain how the evolutionary process works, and how it gave rise to the diversity of organisms on Earth today.
- Recognize and categorize the important organic molecules that make up all living things.
- Describe how organisms are classified using the modern biological classification scheme, and the key criteria that are used to distinguish the major groups.
- Describe how genetic material is transmitted from one generation to the next in eukaryotes.
- Explain the levels of organization and structure in both plants and animals.
- Describe the functions of major structures within a cell, and how proteins are built within a cell.
- Explain the various ways that organisms may interact with one another ecologically, and with their non-living environment.
- Apply proper scientific terminology appropriately both verbally and in writing.
- Analyze scientific data both graphically and statistically to reach a reasonable conclusion.
- Relate and apply material learned in other coursework to the field of biology.
Associate of Science
Sioux City Campus
A biology student studies living organisms' functions and characteristics. This includes the origin and history of animal and plant life, and their characteristics, function, processes and habits. View career outlook information.
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Animal Scientists
- Soil and Plant Scientists
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Zoologists and Wildlife Biologists
- Bioinformatics Scientists
- Molecular and Cellular Biologists
- Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists
- Biological Technicians
- Environmental Science and Protection Technicians, Including Health
- Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Secondary School Teachers
For a list of current required classes, visit our catalog at:
- Verification of high school, GED or HSED official transcript.
- Submitted documentation of composite ACT score of at least 22 or ALEKS PPL score of greater than or equal to 34.
Faculty and Staff
Estimated Cost of Attending
* This is an approximate cost based on tuition and fees set by the Board of Directors before each school year. Course level fees may also apply. Additional charges for licensure or credential testing may be a part of your program.
** The cost of books varies per program.