Paramedic | Dipl
This program provides information and skill training to initiate and maintain treatment for medical, trauma, and cardiac emergencies. The Paramedic is the highest level of emergency responder training. Graduates are prepared to deliver emergency care to patients prior to their arrival at a hospital. Students are trained in life support procedures performed by following orders of the physicians or by following standard operating protocols. Student must have current Iowa EMT certification, AHA BLS Provider card - CPR, and state approved Mandatory Reporter Certificates for Child and Dependent Adult. Instructor consent is required. Successful completion of course requirements will qualify students to take the NREMT certification examination for Paramedic.
To prepare competent entry-level Paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains with or without exit points at the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician and/or Emergency Medical Technician, and/or Emergency Medical Responder levels.
The Paramedic Program does not have and Advanced Placement pathway.
Students are responsible for transportation to and from clinical and field experiences.
Assess injuries, administer emergency medical care, and extricate trapped individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
For a list of current required classes, visit our catalog at:
- Students must submit an application to the Office of Admissions at Western Iowa Tech Community College.
- Students must have a high school transcript or equivalency diploma.
- Students must have a current CPR card (BLS Health Care Provider Module American Heart Association).
- Students must have a valid Iowa EMT or AEMT certification. A photocopy must be submitted. If you do not have an Iowa certification and only a National Registry Card, please contact the Bureau of Emergency and Trauma Services (BETS) (1.800.728.3367 or 515.281.0620) immediately.
- Current Mandatory Reporter Certificates (Child and Dependent Adult)
- Students are responsible for all transportation to and from clinical and field experiences.
- Students will also be required to have a physical (submitted on a Western Iowa Tech Health Evaluation form) and up-to-date immunizations in order to complete clinical requirements. Physicals can be obtained free of charge at the Western Iowa Tech Health Clinic.
Faculty and Staff
The Emergency Medical Services - Paramedic Diploma and Emergency Medical Services - Paramedic AAS programs are accredited by the Commission of Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
To contact CoAEMSP
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088
|COHORT||STUDENTS ELIGIBLE TO TEST
(# that attempted)
|NREMT COGNITIVE EXAM PASS RATE
(within 3rd attempt cumulative)
|NREMT PSYCHOMOTOR EXAM PASS RATE
(first attempt cumulative)
Educational licensure is met in the following states: Iowa
Educational licensure is not met for the following states: None
If not listed above, determination has not yet been made for the remaining states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
To view educational requirements for the state you wish to work, visit https://www.nremt.org/resources/state-ems-offices
Estimated Cost of Attending
* This is an approximate cost based on tuition and fees set by the Board of Directors before each school year. Course level fees may also apply. Additional charges for licensure or credential testing may be a part of your program.
** The cost of books varies per program.