Nursing Assistant - CNA | Cert
Western Iowa Tech offers several nursing programs for students interested in pursuing a nursing career. Once a student completes the Nursing Assistant - CNA certificate or work as a CNA, they enroll in the Nursing - PN Diploma. Practical Nursing is a 1-year program available in Sioux City, Denison, Cherokee, and hybrid (partially online and partially in Sioux City. Cherokee and hybrid have a fall only start). The Practical Nursing diploma prepares students for the NCLEX-PN exam in order to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). When the student becomes an LPN they progress into the second year of additional training with the Nursing - ADN program. This program is available in Sioux City, Denison, and hybrid (partially online and partially in Sioux City, fall only start). Graduates of the Associate Degree of Nursing program are prepared to write for the NCLEX-RN to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN).
This course is designed to provide the you with the fundamentals of patient care in the health care environment. You will learn basic anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, meeting human needs, safety measures, infection control, and physical care.
This program will prepare you to become valuable members of a health care team.
You will assist individuals in the rehabilitation process and in performing those activities of daily living that most of us take for granted to help maintain our health status.
This program provides you with the knowledge and skills required to pass the state's certification exam.
Provide basic patient care under direction of nursing staff. Perform duties such as feed, bathe, dress, groom, or move patients, or change linens. May transfer or transport patients. Includes nursing care attendants, nursing aides, and nursing attendants.
For a list of current required classes, visit our catalog at:
- All students must submit to a criminal and abuse background check and be cleared before starting their program clinical experience.
- Students will also be required to have a physical (submitted on a Western Iowa Tech Health Evaluation form) and up-to-date immunizations in order to complete clinical requirements. Physicals can be obtained free of charge at the Western Iowa Tech Health Clinic.
- All students must sign a confidentiality agreement before beginning their clinical experience.
- All students must purchase a uniform before beginning their clinical experience. The uniform will consist of light blue scrub shirt and pants, and a pair of predominantly white leather shoes.
Clinical Participation Requirements
WITCC uses external affiliated agencies for clinical experiences for our students. Affiliated agencies may impose requirements for students in order that they be allowed access to clinical experience.
- Students may be required to provide the following information to external affiliated agencies:
- Criminal and Abuse Background Checks
- Drug Test
- The student should maintain copies of the documents listed above. Affiliating agencies may require the student to provide a copy of the documentation.
- Drug Testing
Students may need to consent for drug testing and release of that information to external affiliating agencies for clinical experience. Western Iowa Tech Community College is uncertain of what other drugs may be screened.
- Unprofessional conduct, breach of confidentiality, or performing duties beyond the scope of practice or academic preparation is grounds for immediate removal from the clinical site. Removal will result in failing clinical and may include disciplinary action.
Faculty and Staff
Educational licensure is met in the following states: Iowa
Educational licensure is not met for the following states: None
If not listed above, determination has not yet been made for the remaining states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
To view educational requirements for the state you wish to work, visit https://dia.iowa.gov/health-facilities/direct-care-worker-registry-cnas
Estimated Cost of Attending
* This is an approximate cost based on tuition and fees set by the Board of Directors before each school year. Course level fees may also apply. Additional charges for licensure or credential testing may be a part of your program.
** The cost of books varies per program.