WITCC strives to make reasonable accommodations for eligible persons with disabilities to ensure equal and fair access to programs, educational opportunities and activities.
If you are a person with disabilities wishing to attend Western Iowa Tech, you must follow WITCC policy and register with Disability Services. You will need to complete an accommodation request form and provide current documentation of the disabilty(ies) from a qualified professional or organization. Additional evaluation may be requested. Students who require accommodations to take the Computerized Placement Test (CPT) will also need to follow this procedure in advance of taking the test.
For more information concerning the disability services process and to receive more informational resources, please visit www.going-to-college.org.
For more information about Disability Services or if you have any questions, please contact our Disability Services Coordinator.
Some classroom accommodations may include:
- Note takers
- Large print/Braille materials
- Taped lectures
- Graphic organizers
- Preferential seating
- Adaptive equipment, furniture
Possible testing accommodations may include:
- Enlarged materials
- Taped tests
- Quiet, distraction-free area
- Colored overlays
- Oral testing
- Computer-assisted testing (Kurzweil Reader)
- Extended time
Available Assistive technology
- Dragon Natural Speaking-Speech recognition software. Good tool for students who have difficulty with written expression
- JAWS-Premier computer screen reader application. Widely used by the visually impaired.
- Alladin-Screen enlarger of printed materials.
- Kurzweil 3000-Screen reader and composer. Students with reading difficulties can listen to scanned material, texts, worksheets, articles, and exams.
- WYNN (What You Need Now)-Software designed to aid individuals to read and write more effectively.