Chemistry | AS
The Associate of Science Chemistry Transfer Major prepares graduates to transfer to a 4-year program in chemistry, other science or preprofessional health-related programs.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Students upon graduation with an AS degree in Chemistry from Western Iowa Tech will have demonstrated that they:
- Know and are able to apply current scientific principles and theories.
- Follow and modify (as necessary) protocols to carry out chemical experiments, record, and analyze the results.
- Use modern instrumentation and classical techniques to perform experiments and properly record the results of their experiments.
- Solve chemical problems applying critical thinking and analytical reasoning.
- Practice proper procedures and safe handling of chemicals.
- Are able to discuss ethical, historical, and environmental issues that affect work in the field of chemistry.
Associate of Science
Sioux City Campus
People with these jobs develop and process chemicals, conduct laboratory tests, and invent new ways to use materials.
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Clinical Research Coordinators
- Chemical Engineers
- Biochemical Engineers
- Food Scientists and Technologists
- Soil and Plant Scientists
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Materials Scientists
- Environmental Scientists and Specialists, Including Health
- Chemical Technicians
- Geological Sample Test Technicians
- Forensic Science Technicians
- Chemistry Teachers, Postsecondary
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Museum Technicians and Conservators
For a list of current required classes, visit our catalog at:
- Verification of high school, GED or HSED official transcript.
- Submitted documentation of composite ACT score of at least 22 or ALEKS PPL score of greater than or equal to 55.
Estimated Cost of Attending
* This is an approximate cost based on tuition and fees set by the Board of Directors before each school year. Course level fees may also apply. Additional charges for licensure or credential testing may be a part of your program.
** The cost of books varies per program.